Oats are one of the wold's healthiest grain because they are a good source of a lot of vitamins and minerals.
Eating oatmeal in the morning for breakfast is a great way to start one's day on an amazing note.
The great thing about this recipe is the fact that it is nutritious, cheap and easy to cook.
Considering all the delicious oatmeal add ins suggestions in this recipe, this is the best oatmeal recipe you would ever try.
People who have not tried cooking oatmeal could sometimes ask questions such as "is oatmeal good for you".
Yes, oatmeal is a good meal choice for you and below state are some of the reasons why you should consider including oatmeal in your selection of foods.
Nigerians eat oatmeal for breakfast on it own or by eating it with other side dishes such as;
- Oatmeal and Moin Moin
- Oatmeal and akara
- Oatmeal and Beans
- Oatmeal and Bread
- Oatmeal and Fried Plantain
Health benefits of oats
- The beta glucan content in oats may help lower cholesterol levels in the body.
- They are a good source of proteins and amino acids.
- Whole oats are rich in anti-oxidants such as avenanthramides that may help lower blood pressure levels by increasing the production of nitric oxide.
- The presence of beta glucan may help increase the feeling of fullness.
Now that some of the health benefits of oats have been listed, let's go on to how to cook oats starting with the list of ingredients needed.
The type of oat used for this recipe is whole-grain oats commonly referred to as oat groats.
Due to availability, you can also use other types of oats such as quick or instant oat when cooking this recipe.
Whole-grain oats or oats groats is different from other types of oats such as instant oats, Scottish oat, steel cut oats.
Oats groats are unrefined oats and this extends the cooking time unlike other types of oats that have mean modified.
To use other types of oats such as instant oatmeal would mean that the first step in this recipe would have to be omitted.
The cooking time can also have to be shortened because whole oats cook longer than other types of oats.
Before I continue I would like to state that to buy original Nigerian foods and ingredients visit yournativefoodstore.com
- 1 cup whole-grain oats
- 2 cubes sugar
- 1.5 cups water
- 1/4 evaporated milk
How to cook whole grain oats
- Pour the oats in a bowl and add water
- Rinse the oats and drain out the water
- Add fresh water and cover the bowl
- Allow oats soak for 15 minutes - oats are soaked to soften them first in order to reduce cooking time.
- After 15 minutes, put your pot on the cooker
- Add 1.5 cups of water, 2 cubes of sugar and the soaked oats
- Mix well and allow it cook for 10- 15 minutes on medium heat - ensure to keep a close eye on the pot because the oats may bubble up thereby causing a mess
- Always mix the oats to cool down the bubbles
- After 15 minutes whole grain oatmeal's ready to be served
Whole oatmeal is ready.
Popular Oatmeal Combinations
Most times, I prefer to enjoy oatmeal with just sugar and milk.
Below are a lot of other oatmeal add in you can consider too. Apart from sugar, other sweetener such as coconut sugar, molasses, maple syrup and honey can be used to make oat meal sweet.
Please note that health conscious people who prefer avoid sugar can use other sugar substitutes such as xylitol, stevia, erythritol, yacon syrup, monk fruit sweetener and many more.
Depending on the taste you wish to achieve with your breakfast, coconut milk can be used instead of evaporated milk.
Don't you just feel like tasting this creamy oatmeal with evaporated milk. Caramel dips, chocolate chips, yoghurt can be added to your oatmeal breakfast.
Dried fruits such as raisin, dried apples, dried mango, dried cherries, dried cranberries can also be added.
Adding nuts and seeds such as peanuts, almonds, chia seeds and pistachios.
All these additional ingredients have an impact on the calorie content of the whole meal.
People on low calories intake watch have to take note of this.
Fresh fruits with oatmeal such as banana, avocados, blueberries, strawberries, shredded coconuts, blackberries and raspberries is very delicious.
All recipes on this blog always has a video recipe explaining all the process highlighted here.
Please visit my YouTube channel @theonlinecook to watch amazing food recipes starting by clicking the video icon below to watch the video of this recipe.
Kindly subscribe to my YouTube channel. © 2023 The Online Cook