This tuwo shinkafa recipe is the easiest you would ever try.
With this recipe, you will be able to cut down your cooking time to just 10 minutes.
This means that you would save a lot of time, efforts and resources while at the same time achieving a smooth and pleasant tuwo.
You may be wondering how it is possible to make smooth tuwo shinkafa in 10 minutes especially if you are familiar with the traditional cooking method.
Do not worry, all you need to do is to try this recipe and you would always make your tuwo shinkafa using my recipe.
Simply because it is very easy and stress-free. Before I continue with this recipe, I will be briefly explaining what tuwo shinkafa is for those who do not know about this unique dish.
What is tuwo shinkafa
Tuwo shinkafa is a popular delicacy commonly eaten by the Hausa and Fulani people of Northern Nigeria.
This special dish is made with Nigerian rice flour or a unique Nigerian short grain rice.
The type of rice used to make tuwo shinkafa is very different from the common local rice used to prepare regular rice and stew.
In its raw form, tuwo rice is very white in colour while normal rice has a creamy colour.
Another difference is the cooking time. Tuwo rice cooks faster than the normal rice.
The below stated are the ingredients I will be using for my tuwo shinkafa.
Ingredients for tuwo shinkafa
- 200g Tuwo rice
- 4cups water
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
Cooking utensils needed
- omorogun/turning stick/wooden spatula
- pot with lid
- Moi moi leaves/ cling film
- Serving spoon
How to make tuwo shinkafa
- Blend tuwo rice into fine powder.
- Put few tablespoons of fine rice flour into a small bowl.
- Mix separated rice flour with water till it forms a runny paste.
- Set rice paste aside.
- Pour 4 cups of water into a pot.
- Boil the water on your cooker.
- Turn down the heat to low heat when the water starts boiling.
- Gently pour the rice paste into the boiling water while mixing it at the same time.
- After properly mixing the rice paste into the boiling water.
- Gradually add rice flour while mixing immediately.
- Mix in the rice flour till a thick consistency is achieved.
- Push the tuwo stuck to the turning stick back into the pot.
- Add 1/4 cup of water to the tuwo.
- Cover the pot with its lid.
- Cook tuwo shinkafa for 3-4 minutes on medium heat.
- After 3-4 minutes, mix tuwo shinkafa well till is becomes very smooth and moldable.
- Pour some water into a bowl and add 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil.
- Prepare a cling film or moi moi leaves.
- Check here to see how to prepare Moi Moi Leaves for food wrapping.
- Dip the serving spoon into the oily water - This is to help the tuwo shinkafa easily slide off the spoon while serving
- Then scoop the tuwo shinkafa into the leaves of cling film and wrap.
Tuwo shinkafa is ready to be enjoyed with the soup of your choice. Here are some soup suggestions you may want to eat your tuwo shinkafa with.
- Egusi Soup With Vegetables
- Ogbono Soup
- Ewedu Soup
- Okro And Ewedu Soup | Ewedu Alasepo
- Egusi And Okro Soup
In fact this rice swallow pairs well with most Nigerian soups. So feel free to explore and enjoy.
This Recipe is gotten from The Online Cook