I created this recipe while to trying to spice up my instant noodles experience because I was tired of the predictable taste of my noodles.
On this day, I had a craving for instant noodles but I wished it would taste different so I decided to get creative. I mean a little bit of creativity is great.
Truth be told, initially I was sceptical but my cravings gave my creativity mindset a boost. Guess what, it resulted in a delicious recipe I would like to share with you today.
What is stockfish
Stockfish is a dried fish product commonly used to cook many Nigerian soups because of the distinct taste and flavour it adds to soup.
Listed below are the ingredients that I would be using for this recipe.
Ingredients for stockfish noodles
- 2 instant noodles
- 1 small size onions or spring onions
- 2 scotch bonnet peppers
- 100g stock fish
- 1/2 cup dried green peas (add other vegetables you like too)
- 1/8 vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 4 cups water
- other preferred vegetables
Browse our store for all your favourite Nigerian foods in our Shop .
How to cook stockfish noodles
- Slice onions and grate the scotch bonnet peppers
- Boil the eggs for 15 minutes or until they are properly cooked
- Put hot boiled eggs in cold water to allow it cool down
- Pour the green peas in water and rinse
- Rinse the stock fish in clean water and set aside
- Place pot on cook and add 3 cups of water
- Cook for 2 minutes
- Drain water by pouring it into a basket
- Set noodles aside
- Put your frying pan on your cooker
- Add vegetable oil and allow it heat up briefly
- Fry the sliced onions for 30seconds to 1 minutes then add grated scotch bonnet peppers and green peas
- Stir fry for 1-2 minutes
- Add 1cup of water and stockfish
- Cook for 7-10minutes to soften the stockfish
- Add the noodles seasoning and mix well
- Pour in the pre-cooked noodles
- Mix well and cook for 2 -3 minutes.
Stockfish noodles is ready to be enjoyed.
Vegetables in this recipe is optional so you don't have to worry too much if you do not have vegetables to add. I have cooked stockfish noodles with and without vegetables and both meals tasted delicious.
Of course, the taste of vegetable will show in the recipe with vegetables. In the recipe without vegetables, the taste and aroma of stockfish will be very obvious and this is equally delicious as well.
Feel free to explore because in the end, it is all about the taste you want to achieve. You can get creative with this recipe by adding any type of vegetable you want. Vegetables such as; carrots, sweet corn, spring onions, broccoli and many more.
When getting creative with your vegetables of choice, please note that you may not want to cook some vegetables for as long as I cooked the dried green peas.
Also, I cooked the green peas for that long because it was dried and it need proper cooking time to soften well.